Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reflection from Second Session

After last nights class I've realized that there is a lot of aspects of human dignity that I really never thought about. The article, "Dignity in Western Versus in Chinese Cultures: Theoretical Overview and Practical Illustrations" really opened my eyes to just how different the world is. The idea of respect towards elders is quite different in Chinese cultures than what it is in Western cultures. This led into the discussion of hierarchy, and it really makes me wonder where does this hierarchy come from. But like many things in our lives, we really just don't know. Its something that we've been raised with and we can't seem to stop. When you compare a man in an expensive business suit, to a mechanic, you just get a different feeling about them. Not that one is better than the other, but just that they are different. The problem comes in when they are treated differently. I'm not sure that this situation can really have an answer, it seems as though it is what it is, and its frustrating to think that the world will probably continue on like this. It is beyond me to think about what could happen that could possibly change it, and I don't know that it ever will.

What I found interesting that was in the business case studies, the problem was addressed of meshing the two cultures. With our world becoming more global this is going to be happening a lot more often. This might be the change that takes place to change our society. When more and more people have to start respecting other cultures on a daily basis it is either going to take a turn for the better, or the worse, and that is something that only time can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment